Managing the Annual ISA Peak
– Although expected and planned-for, there have always been challenges from recruiting and onboarding sufficient shortterm labour.
Managing the unexpected with increased agility
– From time to time organisations such as Nationwide will inevitably experience unexpected events that cause a spike in customer enquiries and related activities.
– Prior to NAOM the main response was to rely on our employees to simply work harder and longer until the workload returned to normal. Although Nationwide employees could be relied upon for exceptional support at such times, this certainly caused undue stress and could impact on the quality of customer service.
– Since the introduction of the new NAOM tools and capabilities, better real-time visibility of work and available skilled resources means that capacity can be rapidly directed to the highest priority work.
• The introduction of the NAOM method provided a consistent management process. This enabled teams to better collaborate, allowing them to apply the data insights and reports provided in Workware to react quickly to changing workloads.
• The result was radical improvement in the ability to ‘load balance’ between teams, share best practice and identify skills training opportunities. Team leaders now openly share their capacity and workload through twice weekly meetings, supported by a consistent process, visible and accurate performance data.
• Nationwide excelled by applying this collaborative mindset from the outset. They quickly achieved important teamlevel efficiency gains, but very rapidly moved on to crossdepartment/ cross-location opportunities.
• This generated significant business benefit very rapidly by matching skilled capacity from one team to non-correlated peaks in demand which were occurring (some predictably, some not so) in different departments and locations.
Nationwide is the world’s largest building society as well as one of the largest savings providers and the second largest mortgages provider in the UK. It is also a major provider of current accounts, credit cards, ISAs and personal loans. Nationwide has around 15 million customers and members.
Customers can manage their finances in a branch, via the mobile app, on the telephone, internet and post. The Society has around 18,000 employees. Nationwide’s head office is in Swindon with administration centres based in Northampton, Bournemouth and Dunfermline. The Society also has several call centres across the UK.